420 McGill StreetDescription
Prestigious building formed of three restored buildings. Gestion Georges Coulombe restored two complete floors, including a false mansard with pediment roof dormers to give the building a consistent look in keeping with the Second Empire style. Small cast-iron columns, majestic lobby entrance made of slate, and large windows on the building’s façade.
- Indoor parking
- Daily upkeep
- Secure access 24/7
Formerly Magasins-entrepôts Margaret Benny, the building was built between 1880 and 1881. The original owner, Margaret Benny, widow of merchant and industrialist Thomas Peck, built the building, which is made of three separate store-warehouses. Original occupants/tenants: C. MacDonald & Co, hats and furs wholesaler, W. H. Gibbs & Co, grocery store, Robert Miller, Son & Co, paper maker.
Alterations and renovationsRestoration work and conversion into office building. The last two floors of the south bay of the building were demolished and rebuilt during renovation work
Adresse : 420 Rue McGill
Montréal, QC H2Y 2G1
Autre(s) façade(s) : Rue Longueuil
Vocation : Commercial / Résidentiel
Année de construction : 1881
Architecte(s) : Margaret Benny Propriétaire constructeur
Étages : 4 étages et 1 sous-sol
Superficie par étage : 7 500 pieds²
Superficie totale : 30 000 pieds²
Géré par : Gestion Georges Coulombe
Année(s) de rénovations: 1991-1992
Nom historique : Magasins-entrepôts Margaret-Benny
Propriétaire original : C. Macdonald & Co., W. H. Gibbs & Co.